Saturday, January 22, 2011

13

It came. Finally. Due to GA going into panic of all panic modes and nearly the entire state shutting down for 5 days trying to figure out how to get our whopping 6 plows to clear the state, the delivery of this item was in fact, delayed. But alas, it's here and I am an official owner of......
a jersey. A football jersey. Who knew?

I was like a little kid again and was everyday the 1 dashing out to the mailbox to find...nothing. It was ok the first few days but eventually....yea. I was an impatient little kid. It wasn't until the last day of snow for my wait, to be over. We were actually out on the hill sledding when I heard off in the distance the sound of a car accelerating, then slowing to a stop and repeating this every few seconds. I immediately got in my car, drove home to the mailbox, opened it to finally find the little white package I never thought I'd be so excited to see.
Things really do become more special when had to be waited on. Especially if you have to wait longer than expected. Makes you finally getting it, way cooler:)
That night it came, I wore it. I had to hand wash dishes so yes, I wore this to protect it. What?
;)
Then I finally got to join the jersey club the next football night. (We had a photo booth party to celebrate...)

My jersey makes the Mechling Jersey count: 8
4 Eli Manning
1 Peyton Manning
1 Drew Brees
1 Romanaugh (aka...Tony Romo)
and now....
1 Kurt Warner

Now, yes I realize Kurt Warner is not even playing anymore and I just purchased a retired players jersey.
I have reasons.

When I heard Kurt Warner's story I instantly loved him and the fact that he is just a great movie waiting to be made. I was indeed, bummed when he was not able to lead his team all the way to their super bowl win. (THAT would be a sad ending. Not the kinda sad I was going for at least.)And yes, I was of course way bummed when I heard of his retiring. Really not a good ending to my movie dreams.
Imagine this blockbuster.....
"Kurt Warner was a great player. Starting from a grocery store to becoming a quarterback and bringing the Cardinals to the super bowl. They lost. Warner soon after, retired. He now resides in _____ never to play again. The End."
Well, ok....so he may not be the next great movie but, he himself was great. I cheered for him that super bowl and he really has been the only football player to win my support. So, retired or not, I'm wearing that 13 with pride.
Football night is this week in awana and let's just say,....i'm THIS excited to wear my retired number! Because, i'm weird like that:)
Go 13!
(For what it's worth;)

To retired and actually still playing numbers,
Happy Jersey wearing!

2 comments:

  1. you have to find a player who is currently. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. currently...playing? I'm sure Kurt is playing out in the backyard with the kids. :)And that, is just as worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete